Cook County courthouse to reopen Dec. 20

Cook County Commissioner Sue Hakes has announced that the Cook County courthouse, closed after a shooting incident at approximately 4:20 p.m. on Thursday, December 15, will re-open on Tuesday, December 20. Some meeting schedules and locations have been changed.
The courthouse was closed to allow the Minnesota Bureau of Apprehension (BCA) to investigate the shooting that occurred in the county attorney’s office at the conclusion of a criminal sexual conduct case. The defendant in that trial, Daniel Sidney Schlienz, 42, was arrested at the scene of the shooting. He is now incarcerated at Cook County jail. Charges will be announced on Monday, December 19.
Injured in the incident were two shooting victims—County Attorney Tim Scannell and a subpoenaed witness in the trial that had just ended, Greg Thompson.  Cook County Sheriff Deputy/Court Bailiff Gary Radloff was injured in a struggle with Schlienz, as was Assistant County Attorney Molly Hicken. They were transported to Cook County North Shore Hospital in Grand Marais where they were treated and released.
Scannell and Thompson were transported by Cook County Ambulance to Essentia Health Medical Center in Duluth, MN, arriving at approximately 8 p.m. and 10 p.m., respectively. At the press conference, Sheriff Falk said  at the time of transport, both men were conscious and talking.
Contacted by phone on December 16, Essentia Health-St. Mary’s Medical Center spokeswoman Beth Johnson confirmed the injuries reported. Tim Scannell was shot three times—twice in the abdomen, once in the groin area. He underwent surgery at 9 p.m. and came through surgery well. Johnson said his condition is “fair.”
Johnson said Greg Thompson arrived at Essentia Health-St. Mary’s Medical Center at 10 p.m. in “good” condition. He also had three bullet wounds, two in the leg and one in the groin area. He underwent surgery on December 16 to remove a bullet that was lodged in his knee. He is now recovering from that surgery.
It is unknown at this time whether either of the men will require further surgeries.
Sheriff Falk said the shooting suspect is Daniel Sidney Schlienz, 42, of Grand Marais. He was taken into custody inside the courthouse after being subdued by Deputy/Bailiff Gary Radloff and State Trooper Chris Thostenson.
The case has been turned over to the Minnesota Attorney General, which is normal in a case where county officials are involved, especially the county attorney. Charges will be finalized by noon Monday, December 19, however, Wade Setter of BCA said the investigation process could take weeks, even months.
Commissioner Hakes said the courthouse will reopen for business at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, December 20 with the following changes: The county board meeting will be held at 10 a.m. as scheduled. The Human Services Board will meet in commissioners room at 1:30 p.m., a change from the regular 8:30 a.m. time. A county board work session that was scheduled for December 20 has been cancelled.
A meeting for all County Employees will be held in the Commissioner's Room at 8:00 am on Tuesday, December 20. Representatives from Law Enforcement and the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) will be present to provide support & assistance, information and answer questions.