Criminal Bureau of Apprehension takes lead on courthouse shooting

 A press conference was held at 11 a.m. today regarding the shooting that occurred at the Cook County courthouse at approximately 4:30 p.m. yesterday, Dec. 15. Little new information was released. Sheriff Mark Falk and Wade Setter of the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension confirmed details that had already been released and declined answering several questions from regional media outlets. Setter said, “We are in the process of conducting our investigation.”

Cook County Sheriff Mark Falk again stated there were three gunshot victims—County Attorney Tim Scannell; a subpoenaed witness in the trial that had just ended, Greg Thompson; and a court bailiff, Gary Radloff.

Radloff was treated and released from the Cook County North Shore Hospital in Grand Marais.  Assistant County Attorney Molly Hicken was also taken to North Shore Hospital for treatment from minor injuries sustained in the incident.

Scannell and Thompson were transported by Cook County Ambulance to Essentia Health Medical Center in Duluth, MN, arriving at approximately 8 p.m. and 10 p.m., respectively. At the press conference, Sheriff Falk said the men were stable. At the time of transport, both men were conscious and talking.

Contacted by phone on December 16, Essentia Health-St. Mary’s Medical Center spokeswoman Beth Johnson confirmed the injuries reported. Tim Scannell was shot three times—twice in the abdomen, once in the groin.  He underwent surgery at 9 p.m. and came through surgery well. Johnson said his condition is “fair.”

Johnson said Greg Thompson arrived at Essentia Health-St. Mary’s Medical Center at 10 p.m. in “good” condition. He also had three bullet wounds, two in the leg and one in the groin. He underwent surgery this morning to remove a bullet that was lodged in his knee. He is now recovering from that surgery.

It is unknown at this time whether either of the men will require further surgeries.

Sheriff Falk said the shooting suspect is Daniel Sidney Schlienz, 42, of Grand Marais. He was taken into custody inside the courthouse after being subdued by Bailiff Gary Radloff and State Trooper Chris Thostenson. Schlienz is now incarcerated at Cook County jail.

As was previously released, the shooting took place at the conclusion of a criminal sexual conduct case at which Schlienz had been found guilty. 
Falk said Schlienz’s mother, Ginger Berglund of Grand Marais and his attorney, John Lillie, also helped subdue him.

 Setter said the case has been turned over to the Minnesota Attorney General, which is normal in a case where county officials are involved, especially the county attorney. Charges will be finalized by noon Monday, December 19, however, Setter said the investigation process could take weeks, even months.