Roads reopen across the Northland, some remain closed
The Minnesota Department of Transportation reports that northbound Interstate 35 has reopened this morning between Mahtowa and Highway 210 at Carlton.
Southbound I-35 remains closed in that area.
The DOT said people posted at the barricades on I-35 are trying to help drivers find alternate routes, but that's a challenge given the other roads that are closed around the area from flooding. Interstate 35 is open across the city of Duluth.
Here are some updates on other roads in the Northland, provided this morning by MNDOT and other sources:
- Highway 61 Expressway closed at Knife River with detour in place; Scenic 61 reportedly is open to Two Harbors.
- Highway 61 open at Silver Creek Tunnel, with shoulder damage
- Highway 53 is now open past the Miller Hill Mall. Maple Grove Road is open in the same area; parts of Mall Drive remain closed
- Highway 2 open from Proctor west.
- Highway 23 closed at Fond du Lac
- Highway 210 closed through Jay Cooke State Park