Mailing List Questions
- What's the difference between the Classified Ads and the news and for-sale lists?
- How can I get help with a list?
- How do I subscribe or unsubscribe to a list?
- What mail lists are available?
- Which list should I post my message to?
- What are the guidelines for posting to a mail list?
- How do I post a message to a mail list?
- Why aren't my messages getting posted to the list?
- How do I set up my email program to send messages in plain text?
- I thought commercial postings were prohibited from the for-sale list! Why did you allow so-and-so to post his store's sale?
The following disclaimers apply to all mail lists, and all postings to the Boreal Web Site and Classifieds:
- Mail Lists:
Boreal Access does not endorse and is not responsible for any statement, opinion, or advice given or made by anyone using this mail list. All postings are those of the author and you rely on such information at your own risk. In cases of willful abuse of the policies set forth for this list, Boreal Access reserves the right to take whatever action it determines appropriate, including termination of access privileges and/or legal action.
- Boreal Web Site and Classifieds:
Boreal Access does not endorse and is not responsible for any statement, opinion, or advice given or made by anyone using this site. All postings are those of the author and you rely on such information at your own risk.
Information posted to this website is publicly accessible. By posting information to the Boreal website, you agree that said information will be available to the general public, and you release Boreal from all responsibility for any and all actions, including but not limited to legal or criminal action, which occur as a result of someone viewing the information you have posted.
Your submission may be removed by Boreal Access at its own discretion, for any reason. Policies will be enforced. Offensive postings will be removed. In instances of willful abuse, Boreal Access reserves the right to take whatever action it determines appropriate, including termination of access privileges and legal action.
Although Boreal reserves the right to remove content deemed inappropriate, the fact that Boreal has not removed a particular posting does not indicate or imply that Boreal agrees with or endorses the opinions, advice or other information stated in that posting. Any opinions, statements or advice given in member-submitted postings are not necessarily those of Boreal Access.
See the table below for the differences between the Classified Ads and the mailing lists, such as news and for-sale
|Classified Ads||news & for-sale lists|
|Goes to people's email||No (unless a person has signed up for the Classified Ads digest)||Yes, to all list members|
|Listed on the Boreal home page||Yes, for 48 hours after the ad is placed||No|
|Boreal members can browse ads on the Boreal website||Yes, using the Classified Ads link||Yes, using the Mail List Archives link|
|Non-Boreal members can see the ad||Yes||No|
|Can include a photo with the ad||Yes||No|
|Can use special formatting, like special fonts, bold text and color||Yes||No|
|Only Boreal members may post ads||Yes||Yes|
|You must subscribe to the list to post an ad||No - all Boreal members may post ads||Yes - only list members may post items to a list|
|How to post an ad||Via a form on the Boreal website||Via email, or using a form on the Boreal website|
- If you ever need help with the list, address an e-mail message to Majordomo@boreal.org, leave the subject line blank, and type the word help in the body of the message. Mail it and a page full of info will be automatically mailed back to you.
All postings are archived and you can retrieve past postings. The info on this is also in the help message.
- To automatically subscribe or unsubscribe to the 'news', 'for-sale', 'discussions', and 'ads' mail lists click here.
- To subscribe to a list send an e-mail message to Majordomo@boreal.org, leave the subject line blank and in the body of the message type:
subscribe "list name" "your e-mail address"
Do not type the quotes - for example type subscribe news email@example.com.
Send the message and you will receive a welcome message for that group that explains what the group is about. If you want to unsubscribe yourself use the word unsubscribe instead of subscribe. One of the things that a help message will give you is a list of the commands like 'subscribe' and 'unsubscribe' that you can ask majordomo.
- The 'news', 'for-sale', 'ads' and 'discussions' lists are for Boreal members only. Because of this, only boreal.org email addresses may be subscribed to those lists.
- All members are automatically subscribed to the general list. We ask that you please stay subscribed to the general list, as this is where news and info about Boreal and the service we provide is posted. The other lists are optional.
The lists that are now active and open to all members are:
members - information from Boreal
news - community news information
for-sale - personal items for sale
ads - commercial items for sale
discussions - forum for topics of discussion
non-profit - announcements for non-profit organizations
beargrease - race information
birding - birding news and information
gtwise - Fire information for Gunflint Trail residents
These lists are described in detail in the next section.
If you have an idea for a new list just let us know.
You can run your own list if you want. The software will let you maintain a list via e-mail.
A list can also be private, that is it is open only to members and its contents are not viewable by the public.
Please contact me for more info or if you have any questions.